Like many families, tacos are one of our go-to meals during a busy week. They’re quick to make and require ingredients we have in stock 95% of the time. Besides avocado, my second most favorite thing to eat with tacos is Spanish rice.
We used to make packaged Spanish rice, but ever since we started making our own taco seasoning I’ve been dying to come up with a homemade version. After a few unsuccessful attempts, we finally got it right when we discovered enchilada sauce was the missing ingredient.
FYI – I tried using tomato paste originally and I didn’t think it was completely horrible, but my husband hated it. So, if you’re going for a more authentic Spanish rice I would advise against trying to use tomato paste and stick with enchilada sauce.
Here’s the recipe:
- ¼ cup of diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup of diced bell peppers
- ¼ cup of diced onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ⅓ cup enchilada sauce
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil on medium to low heat and sauté the bell peppers, onions and garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon frequently and be careful not to overcook the garlic and onion.
- Once the onions and peppers are slightly cooked, add the tomatoes, enchilada sauce stir.
- Once the tomatoes and enchilada sauce are warm, stir in the oregano, chili powder, paprika and salt and pepper.
- Bring the pepper and tomato mixture to a low simmer.
- Pour the cooked rice in to a separate bowl and mix in the pepper and tomato mixture.
Enjoy this easy side dish on taco night or with homemade burritos! Yum!