It’s definitely been way too long since our last post. We’ve been a busy family the last few months getting ready for baby number two. In addition to running our bed and breakfast, we have been focusing on our new business venture, a full service restaurant in downtown Grand Rapids. Now it’s time to get back on track!
One of my new obsessions lately has been researching the health benefits and arguments for a plant based diet. I know it’s so cliche but my husband and I recently watched a documentary called Food Choices. After watching it on Netflix, I needed to know more. I’ve read a few books but the most powerful one by far has been The China Study. I wholeheartedly recommend you read it if you’re at all interested in how the food you eat effects your health.
We’ve decided to make the journey as a family to a whole foods, plant based diet. We’re in the early stages of devising our game plan to cut out meat, dairy and eggs from our diets. I envision something of a long term phased approach cutting out red meat, followed by pork, next chicken, then fish, and finally eggs and dairy. Quitting animal products cold turkey is not a feasible plan for us, so we want to make sure we give it some serious thought. I’ll definitely share more information on our journey over the next few months.
Recently, I’ve tried to give up meat for breakfast and lunch everyday. We’ve definitely cut back on meat for dinner, and are trying to be way more conscious of our food choices. I’m looking forward to learning how to cook with new vegetables and meat substitutes over the next few months. As a mommy though, sometimes you just need to work with the simple ingredients you have lying around the home. So, we whipped together this simple lunch recipe for a Spicy Red Pepper and Potato Skillet.
- 1 C potatoes cubed
- ½ C red peppers chopped or sliced
- ½ C mushrooms sliced
- ½ C grape or cherry tomatoes and/or onions
- 3 - 5 Tbsp. favorite salsa (try using the blended kind as opposed to the chunky kind if possible)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté the cubed potatoes in a cast iron skillet on medium heat using olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally until they are golden brown on the outside and cooked through the center (about 5-7 minutes).
- Reduce heat slightly to low/medium heat and add in vegetables of your choice. I recommend red peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Mix in 3 to 5 tablespoons of your favorite salsa.
- Top with spinach and let it wilt slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toast.
Have you considered removing or even reducing animal products from your diet? I’d love to hear any advice or plant based recipes you have to share. Share in the comments below!